Guide to toxins
Toxins is a section of the Research and Development section of the station. It is used to create bombs for mining or, in an emergency, to destroy a loose singularity, and otherwise ruin the station if left to traitors or idiots.
The first thing you should do in the Toxins Lab is open the interior airlock of the heating chamber, go inside the airlock and set both pumps to 4500 kPa then leave, making sure the airlock is cycled shut behind you. There is a very good reason to make sure that airlock stays closed, and you never get stuck inside.
Once you've gathered these Canisters put them onto the 3 ports in the upper right corner of the room then grab a Wrench (if there isn't one around, there should be some in blue toolboxes in the R&D office at the top of the hall), then use the wrench on each Canister to connect them to the ports. Once connected there should be a black pipe going from Canister to the floor.
DO NOT open the Canister valves! This will release toxins into the air immediately and you do not want that! The Canisters will mix on their own as soon as they are wrenched in the connectors.
Use your PDA to check the contents of one of the Canisters, it should be 66% plasma and 33% oxygen, if it isn't, then you've done something wrong.
Once you've made sure your Canisters have the correct contents, use the wrench to disconnect the Canisters, drag one onto the port on the south-wall of Toxins. Then open the Manual Valve so the contents of the Canister are pumped from the Canister to the mixing chamber. If you changed the pump settings correctly, it's quite likely that a light bulb will smash and ignite the mix for you; if not, you can use the ignition switch on the wall of the airlock to do so.
Now once your gas is busy superheating the chamber, grab one of the empty yellow Canisters and attach that to the port above the previous one, this Canister will hold your final heated mix.
Give the mix a few minutes in the chamber then open the Manual Valve on the pipe leading to the port with your empty Canister attached.
After a minute or two your first Canister might be empty, feel free to replace it with one of the other two, and again once that one runs out, to ensure there's plenty of mix.
And if all is done correctly your yellow Canister should now be flashing green, and when checked with your PDA should have a temperature of about 97000 degrees! Feel free to replace it with the other yellow Canister once it's reach ridiculous pressure so you can harvest more precious gas.
Once you're all done close off the transfer valves and disconnect your Canisters.
While this method produces very hot gas, the gas is (mostly) CO2. In order to make a bomb you will require heated Plasma, this can be achieved by pumping this gas into a tank that already contains plasma to heat it up as described below, but a larger explosion is possible if you have a hot tank of pure plasma without mixing in any CO2. Other methods are possible, have fun experimenting and try not to destroy the station too many times.
Sealing the Deal - Putting Together a Bomb
Now you've got your superheated gas. Next you'll want to go and get an Oxygen Canister from the storage and bring it back down to the Toxins Room, you'll be using this to top off Oxygen Tanks from the dispenser to your right, where the yellow Canisters were.
Now you'll want to start off by dispensing one or two Plasma Tanks from the Tank Storage Unit, load into the white Portable Scrubber, making sure it's pressure is set to 1013 kPa, and get rid of all that plasma. Then take the Plasma Tanks to a Plasma Canister and put a small amount of plasma in the tank, setting the pressure to 50 kPa will work, but experiment with different amounts to change the size of the explosion. Once this is done go and slot them into one of your yellow Canisters, making sure that the output pressure is at 1013 kPa. This should result in a high pressure, high temperature tank of (mostly) plasma.
Now take these tanks of heated gas and attach each one to a Tank Transfer Valve, once you've done that it's back to the dispenser. This time get an equal amount of Oxygen Tanks from the Tank Storage Unit and fill them with oxygen from the Oxygen Canister you got at the start of this section, again make sure the pressure is set to 1013 kPa. Now attach each to a Tank Transfer Valve that already has a Plasma Tank on and you'll have a bomb, or several.
From here on you have 5 options, Timers, Proximity Sensors, Remote Signaling Devices, Voice Analyzers, or Infrared Emitters. Each of these is a method of setting off your bomb, for your first bomb you should use a Remote Signaling Device. To attach these devices to a Tank Transfer Valve you need to use a screwdriver on them till they are ready for attachment. Grab a Remote Signaling Device click it to set a frequency of your choice, then use it on the Tank Transfer Valve to attach it, all done, you have a bomb, ready for use.
Important Note about Remote Signaling Devices
Some jokers like to randomly signal the default frequencies of these devices so either before or as soon as you've attached one to a bomb you'll want to open its control panel by clicking it or the bomb in your hand and change the frequency and code so that you don't get a nasty surprise.
Speed Guide to Bombing
So you want to be a "Evil" scientist and make bombs for various reasons? Well, apprentice, if you follow these easy steps you'll be suicide bombing wizards in no time. Remember, a Wise Man once said in regards of suicide bombing for the greater good: "Don't miss."
Please note you don't HAVE to do this in the exact order.
- Open the interior door of the Mixing Chamber and set both pumps to 4,500 kPa.
- Grab TWO Plasma Canister and ONE Oxygen Canister. Wrench them into the mixing ports, unless you fucked it up somehow ALL THREE Canisters should read 66% Plasma and 33% Oxygen (if you're not sure that it's the proper amount, enable the Gas Scanner on your PDA and check the Canisters with it).
- (optional) For a max yielding bomb, take a trip down to Atmospherics and get a chilled Oxygen Canister from them.
- Once you got the Canisters 66% Plasma and 33% Oxygen, take one of them and wrench it into the Input Port and open the Manual Valve. Take one of the Empty Yellow Canister and wrench it into the Output port. Once the plasma is in the mixing room, hit the ignition switch (if the Canister that you wrenched into the Input port runs dry, replace it with another Canister if you want).
- You're good to go! Open the Manual Valve on the Output Port and fill er' Up! Keep an eye on the meter for the Output Port, wait until it reads a temperature of 97 000 degrees celsius.
- Grab a Plasma Tank and fill it with the superheated plasma, grab an Oxygen Tank and fill it up with (chilled) oxygen.
- Grab a Tank Transfer Valve and slap the filled Oxygen Tank/Plasma Tank on it.
- Decide how you want your bomb to detonate (if you want to attach a Timer, Proximity Sensor, or Remote Signaling Device use the screwdriver on the device to make it attachable and attach it to the Tank Transfer Valve).
Note that this is will not result in the most efficient bomb. In fact it will be about half of what it could be at its best. Experiment with different gases and mixes and do a little research to find an even more effective bomb mix!
- Shitcurity MAY kick down your door and harm-baton you for making a bomb even if it's just to blow up the bomb range.
- If you're not an antagonist and decide to mass bomb the station (or suicide bombing an antag such as a wizard) you will get BANNED!! In an extreme situation such as >90 % of the crew dead because of a rampaging wizard, you can adminhelp if it's ok to give it a try, and if you don't receive an answer, presume that it is not ok.
Testing your creations
The Toxins department comes with a built in testing arena! It's great for testing the power and destruction of your newly created bombs. If you go out the right exit of Toxins and continue walking you will find yourself in a small room. The first things you will most likely spot will be the mass driver, the Doppler Array and the observation screens.
The Doppler Array will measure the explosions sizes for any explosions in its facing direction. The main use is to measure the theoretical size of the explosion, which is what the explosion would have been if it wasn't capped. Now, make sure your bomb is completely set-up and double-check it, then drop it on the mass driver and head over to its control. Click on the control and the bomb will be launched into the toxins test chamber. Now head over to the observation screens and click one of them, which will allow you to view the bomb explosion through the test chamber cameras.
This is the recommended way to test your creations. If you decide to test your bombs elsewhere, expect a wave of security to come and beat your ass for destroying parts of the station. Enjoy your explosions.
Using your creations
Bombs are designed to be used with mining to clear out regular rocks. If you’re a traitor you can also use bombs as a quick way to get the shuttle called.
Stepping up from party poppers
You are probably wondering why your bomb went of with about as much bang as a shaken up can of cola, you are likely racking your brain to figure out what went wrong or what you did wrong? Well, don't, because if your bomb went off, then congrats, you now understand the basics of toxins, but this guide is going to show you how to turn that party popper into a real bomb (this guide takes into account the fact that you already know the basics of toxins such as setting the pipe pressure and using 33% oxygen and 66% plasma in your heating mix).
- Firstly, forget about needing supercooled Oxygen, the simple fact is with such a low bomb cap (bombs have a limited maximum size, capped out in the game's code) you don't actually need it.
- Secondly, you're going to need to start off by emptying the Plasma Tank(s), you can do this by putting them in the Portable Scrubber and setting the kPa to 1013. Once you have emptied the tank, go and fill it up with 50 kPa of Plasma, once that is done, take it to the superheated canister and fill it up to 1013 kPa.
- Thirdly, you're going to need take the Oxygen Tank and scrub it using the Portable Pump, which is right beside the Portable Scrubber. Now that the tank is empty, take it to Toxins Storage and fill it up to about 903 kPa of oxygen, then take it over to the Plasma Canister and set the kPa to 1013. Doing this will fill the rest of the Oxygen Tank with plasma.
- Finally, once the Plasma Tank is finished heating (when it reaches over a thousand kPa) take it out and do the normal bomb assembly procedure (combine the Oxygen Tank and Plasma Tank with a Tank Transfer Valve). Test your bomb to see if it works; you will know that you have done everything correctly if it knocks out at least one camera.
- Remember, this bomb is pretty weak when you take into consideration how high you can go if the bomb cap is removed. This bomb normally has a damage area of around 3/6/11 (hole in space/total destruction/light destruction) whereas the cap is around 3/7/14. Roughly the highest you can go without the bomb cap is around 10/20/40 using only tank transfer valves.
Seriously, don't go and randomly set these off on the station if you aren't a syndicate or otherwise an antagonistic character, you WILL get job-banned or permabanned.