|RESEARCH & MEDICAL STAFF|
|Access: Medbay, Morgue, Genetics, Research Division|
Supervisors: Research Director and Chief Medical Officer
Duties: Alter genomes, turn monkeys into humans and vice versa, make DNA backups so they can get stolen, clone dead people
Guides: Guide to genetics, Guide to medicine
You start in Medbay and literally get to play God. This is a very technical class, but there are a few simple things people can do that are still learning the ins and out of genetics. The main thing you're meant for: find super powers, fix disabilities, and cloning dead people.
This is one half of your job. Make sure you know how do it (and actually fucking do it).
Someone has died? Not to worry, SCIENCE is here!
- Grab a body.
- Throw body into the DNA Scanner (next to Cloning Console).
- Click Scan. If there is no brain activity, wait a moment (half a minute or so) and try again (ghost needs to return to its body). If this fails again, skip to step 9.
- Go into Medical Records.
- Hit Clone.
- If you don't have Clean Structural Enzymes (Clean SEs) yet, pop body out of DNA Scanner. If you do, skip the next step.
- Take old body (and not the clone), throw into DNA Scanner next to monkey pen.
- Go into the Transfer Buffer and Save their SE formula to a blank spot.
- Make a clean SE injector from the DNA Scanner Access Console and inject them with a clean SE injector just to be safe that they don't get any seizures later on.
- Give them their stuff back and throw them out of your lab and into a cryotube.
- You now have a dead body to play with, turn into a monkey, throw into the morgue, or just give to the chef (or do a combination thereof).
ASK THE CMO TO CHECK THE CREW MONITOR REGULARLY SO YOU HAVE PEOPLE TO CLONE.
For a more in-depth guide for cloning, read the Guide to Genetics.
If you're feeling fancy and have a fuckton of bodies which need cloning, you can force an early ejection of the cloning pod by unlocking the pod with your ID and using the Eject Pod command from the right-click menu. The clone must be at least 40% done before the pod will allow you to eject it this way. The cloning pod will also eject its current unfinished clone if the room's equipment loses power. If you get a cooperative Engineer to unlock the APC for you, you can switch the power off and on to eject the clone.
You need to finish the cloning process over in Cryogenics, so make sure the Cryochambers are loaded with a Clonexadone-Cryoxadone mixture. Have some Alkysine at hand to cure their massive brain damage, too. This is known as 'Hypercloning', and it speeds up the process of cloning significantly, frees up the cloning machine for another patient, gives cryogenics and bored medical doctors something to do, and it's not inconvenient because they're naked coming out of the pod anyway.
You can take a scan off of someone while they're alive and create a genetic backup ready to be cloned in case they die. This is useful to those of especially high risk of an irretrievable death like the chief engineer or captain.
- Bug people to get scanned at genetics while they're still alive.
- Scan them.
- Press the "clone" button under their records when they die.
Any geneticist worth their salt knows that manipulating the DNA of living things is their ball game.
See the Guide to Genetics when you're ready for the real SCIENCE.
Other, more subtle, modifications may be possible. As always, experimentation is encouraged!
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!
As a traitor, you are pretty much able to do anything you want to dead people in your lab, granted you don't have a coworker or baby sitter. After sticking about for a few moments, any security forces usually vanish from the room of medium priority targets, like the RD or CE. At this time, you can then loot their items and access, or even their appearance! You can easily replace people, just be sure to get rid of the original and wear the right clothes! Perhaps it will help you in the long run.
DO NOT USE MONKEY SE'S ON THE OTHER CREW MEMBERS IF YOU ARE NOT A TRAITOR. THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED.