|Access: Hydroponics, Morgue|
Supervisors: Head of Personnel
Duties: Grow plants for the kitchen, mutate them in the name of science, grow less legal substances
Guides: Guide to hydroponics
It is like... you know man, when you grow little... the little plants in the ground? And like, you go and grow happy mushrooms? And like, when people harsh your mellow, you can just take a nettle out, and wack them to death with flower power, maaaaaan.
Well, ahem, yes! You are a hippie. You can make some of the best healing foods in the game, and the most lethal too. Also, you can grow hallucinogens and toxins! Just make sure you know what plants you are growing, or you will wind up dead from eating a bad shroom, total bummer.
Plants are people too!
For the full chart with plant types, what they look like, and what they do, please check out the Guide to hydroponics.
EZ-Grow: An in-between version of the two other fertilizers. Raises harvest amount (but not as much as Robust Harvest), and lets the plant's stats mutate (but not as much as Left-4-Zed)
Left-4-Zed: Increases the chance of plant stat mutations. The stats can either increase or decrease!
Robust Harvest: Raises amount of plants you'll get when it's time to harvest.
THIS'S WHERE TH' SEEDS LIVE! GIT YOU SOME!
Head to the vending machine, get some seeds. There may be hidden seeds in the machine, if you know how to PROPERLY HACK IT, then do so and collect the rewards.
Take your yummy vegetables to window on the left side where the chef will be, then have him cook them up! There are many different foods the chef can make from different foods you grow. Or, as an alternative, have him blend different things for you. Blended foods provide a concentration of various materials that can be separated from nutriment reagents.
Tools of the Trade
You get a few fun tools as a botanists that will make your life so easy when growing plants:
- Hatchet. It's a rather robust small cutting tool used to
murder peoplemake wood planks and pumpkin helmets.
- Mini Hoe. NOT THAT KIND. This one is meant to claw, or perhaps filter, out weeds from the hydroponic trays.
- Plant-b-Gone Spray bottle. Kill hydroponic plants, kill alien weeds too, can be filled with other chemicals. Does minor toxin damage, but absolutely devastates plant persons.
- Plant analyzer. It tells you basically everything about your plant, including its killing / drugging / healing properties.
- Backpack irrigation system. Makes watering the plants much less annoying.
- Buckets, in case you want to water the plants the annoying way. These function as beakers, so you can mix chemicals inside them too.
- Chemical grinder and a large beaker, so you can extract chemicals from your plants.
Things you should get from the outside:
- A tool box. To set up the irrigation system and rearrange the trays if you're a special snowflake.
- A multitool. To hack the seed vendor.
- Toxin Med kit. Because sometimes you can get TOO high.
- Insulated Gloves. In case you fail to hack it the first time.
- An engineer. Because electricity will fucking kill you.
- Poly acid, in a spray bottle. It will melt down your fail crops.
- Space cleaner, in a spray bottle. It will clean the goo left behind from the acid.
- Various chemicals to mutate or treat your plants with.
- A dropper. So you can mutate plants more precisely.
So Harsh, Bro
People like to break into hydro and steal your spray bottles, because they can fill them with
water polyacid. I suggest to take all the bottles inside a safe enough spot in hydro, or actually stay in the hydroponics bay. You can also hand them out like candy. It's not like you need all of them.
BEG the chemist to make you stuff, namely useful ammonia or unstable mutagen. If chemistry is helpful they can also give you a dropper for more precise mutations.
Different chemicals do different things to your plants when injected. Please, experiment until you find a blend you like!
Most of your crops can be blended down into chemical themselves. Keep this in mind.
An alternative to chemicals is a floral somatoray. You can get it from the scientists unless they and/or the shaft miners are being lazy fucks (which is always). It is a gun that shoots mutation rays that either increases yield or tries to change the plant's stats. (Guide to hydroponics).
If you happen to come across a Shaft Miner that hasn't taken a hardsuit and gone off to explore space, then you're half way there. Get some sand, use it to make sandstone, then take three sandstone to make dirt. Another method is the grow grass in your existing hydroponics trays, then plant the grass tiles and dig them up with the spade found in the back room! This will dig up some sand. Congratulations, you are no longer restricted to tiny water tubs for growing now. Be warned though, it is not the most efficient method of planting, as there are no lights to indicate needs for water, fertilizer, etc. Have fun surrounding theatre with bananas and watching the clown collapse in sheer joy.
Little Shop of Horrors
As a traitor, if you are lucky and fast you have access to so many horrifying things: death nettles that are as strong as e-swords and automatically disintegrate, plants that slip people, multiple robust poisons, koibeans to grind for free parapen juice, and so much more! If you have an easy objective, quickly rush out and get it out of the way, head back and get your plants growing. Your leather gloves give no prints onto a crime scene, so if you ditch your equipment (or hide it) you should be fine enough so no one knows it was you. You can also intoxicate some food if you get your hands on a dropper -- just hope whoever you want to die eats it.
An Average Round as a Botanist
<youtube> id=gEJHrmliVQw </youtube>